How do I apply for financial aid at John A. Logan College?

You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal, state, and institutional funds that we award. The FAFSA application can be found online at The federal school code for John A. Logan College is: 008076.

What is financial aid?

Financial aid consists of money/resources provided to help students and families pay for the cost of attending college. The primary responsibility for meeting the cost of college rests with the student and family to the extent that they are able to pay. A formula established by the U.S. Department of Education takes into account your family income and assets and calculates an EFC(Expected Family Contribution). Your EFC is what is used to determine financial aid eligibility.

When are financial aid applications available?

Applications are available October 1st for the upcoming academic year. Current year applications are available on an ongoing basis.

Does John A. Logan College have a financial aid deadline?

We highly recommend that you complete and submit all documents as soon as possible to ensure that funds are available on the first day of instruction. Our office will receive the results from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), but remember to allow time for the processing of the application. However, the office continues to process applications until funds are depleted or the academic year has ended. Funds are limited, so apply early.

Do I return the application to the Financial Aid Office at John A. Logan College?

No. The quickest and most efficient way to submit the FAFSA is online at If you choose to complete a paper FAFSA, it should be mailed to the address provided on the FAFSA.

What is your school code, address and fax number?

Federal School Code: 008076

John A. Logan College
700 Logan College Road
Carterville, IL 62918
Phone: 618-985-3721
Fax: 618-985-9751

Why do I have to provide parental information?

Parent information is used because the U.S. Congress has said that families have the primary responsibility of funding a college education. Parent information is not necessary if you are independent. By federal definition, you are considered independent if you meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • You were born before January 1, 1994.
  • As of today, are you married?(Also answer “Yes” if you are separated but not divorced.)
  • At the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year, you will be working on a master’s or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, graduate certificate, etc.).
  • You are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training.
  • You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • You have children who will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018.
  • You have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2018.
  • At any time since you turned age 13, both of your parents are deceased, you were in foster care or you were a dependent or ward of the court.
  • You were an emancipated minor as determined by a court in your state of legal residence.
  • You were in legal guardianship as determined by a court in your state of legal residence.
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2016, your high school or school district homeless liaison determined that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless.
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2016, the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determined that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless.
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2016, the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determined that you were an anaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless.

You are NOT a veteran if you:

  • were never in engaged in active duty the U.S. Armed Forces
  • were only a ROTC student
  • were only a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies
  • were only a National Guard or Reserves enlistee and were not activated for duty
  • are currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces, and will continue to serve through June 30 prior to the academic year you are applying
  • Were engaged in active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces but released under dishonorable conditions

If you do not meet any of the definitions above, then you are dependent and MUST report your parents’ information on the FAFSA. Our office may require documentation.

What if I do not meet any of the definitions above AND my parents do not support me?

You are not automatically independent for financial aid purposes simply because your parents stop claiming you as a tax exemption or refuse to give you support for your college education. Unwillingness, inability, or reluctance of parents to help pay for your educational costs and/or qualifying for in-state tuition do not make you independent by federal law.

The Financial Aid Office may make allowances for students to be independent if they can demonstrate extenuating family circumstances on a case by case basis. You must make an appointment with the Director of Financial Aid to discuss your circumstances.

What happens after I apply for financial aid?

You have the responsibility to follow up on your financial aid package. You should receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the federal processor when they have completed processing your FAFSA. When you receive your copy of the SAR, we will have received it electronically provided that you listed our school code on your application.

After reviewing your electronic SAR, we will send you a request by email for additional information or forms to complete. You should submit all completed forms to our office as soon as possible.

When we have completed the review process with all the requested documents on file, you will be sent an email indicating the link online to view the aid you are eligible to receive.

What is a financial aid award package?

When you apply for financial aid, you do not have to apply for a particular type or amount of aid. Financial aid applicants are automatically considered for all available aid programs. One or more types of aid are usually awarded in combination to make up a student’s financial aid package. Students who receive scholarships from outside agencies or through their departments must inform the JALC financial Aid office and these scholarships will be included as a part of their financial aid package. You will need to make an appointment with the Financial Aid Office to process a loan.

When is my refund available?

If you are due a refund. You may check with the Financial Aid Office for specific dates and additional details concerning refunds.

When will my loan be disbursed?

Loan checks are the 3rd & 4th week of the semester.

If I withdraw from my classes, will I be required to repay the funds I received?

Enrollment changes can have a significant impact on your current financial aid awards as well as your future financial aid eligibility. Your tuition and fees may be adjusted whenever you add, drop, or withdraw based on the JALC Refund Policy. You should refer to the catalog for more details. As a result of dropping or withdrawing from your classes, your financial aid may be reduced, or in some cases, canceled. Also, these dropped or withdrawn classes are counted in determining your future financial aid eligibility through the Academic Satisfactory Progress Policy. For additional information, contact the Financial Aid Office prior to dropping or withdrawing from classes.

If I am on financial aid warning, can I receive any awards?

Yes. You can receive awards while on financial aid warning but you must adhere to the conditions listed on your warning letter.

For how long is the application good?

The FAFSA will cover Fall, Spring, and Summer of the academic year.

Do I have to apply for financial aid each year?

Yes, you must apply for financial aid each year. Each financial aid application covers one academic year that consists of Fall Semester, Spring Semester, and Summer Semester.

Will students who applied for financial aid in the current year receive a FAFSA renewal reminder.

Students who are renewal-eligible and who qualify for reminders will be sent Renewal Reminder notifications. Eligible students who provided e–mail addresses on their current record will receive Renewal Reminder e–mails from the U.S. Department of Education. Renewal–eligible students whose records do not have e–mail addresses with valid syntax, or whose Renewal Reminder e–mails are returned as undeliverable, will be mailed Renewal Reminder letters from the U.S. Department of Education, provided there is a deliverable mailing address.

How do I get a student work job?

Federal Work Study funds are limited and awarded on a first come, first serve basis. If you are interested in a Federal Work Study job, you should contact the Placement Office for further information.

What if my financial situation or my family’s financial situation changes?

If you or your parents (for dependent students) experience a change in financial situation, you can request that the Financial Aid Office reevaluate your aid eligibility. You will be asked to complete a Special Circumstances Form describing these changes, and provide some form of substantiating documentation. Common situations that are considered include loss of employment, reduction in income, unreimbursed medical/dental expenses, divorce and death.