JALC News

View All News Articles

I Will Never Forget Her Name: How an Academic Advisor Took JALC’s Kirk Overstreet from Construction Site to the President’s Office

Published on August 26, 2024

Kirk Overstreet working on a construction job

In an inspiring journey from the construction site to the president’s office, Dr. Kirk Overstreet’s rise to become the president of John A. Logan College is a testament to the transformative power of mentorship and education. Central to Overstreet’s story is the pivotal role of his academic advisor.

Overstreet spent 15 years in construction and was at a crossroads in his mid-thirties. He had previously been enrolled in a community college, but after a semester, he decided he was not ready for college. He then began a rewarding career in construction that he enjoyed but regretted not finishing college.

After deciding to return to college, Overstreet made the most challenging step, the first step, and met with an academic advisor at North Central College. That advisor, Mary Ann Frank, told Overstreet that he was not ready to enroll at the college, but if he took some classes at a community college and did well, she would enroll him at North Central.

“She told me that there were three classes that I needed to take, and if I completed those courses successfully, she would enroll me,” Overstreet said. “Those three classes changed my life. She knew I needed to take those classes at a community college, and she was right. The community college gave me the foundation I needed, and I was successful in those courses.”

Overstreet’s academic journey saw him excel in his coursework and ultimately transition into administrative roles within the college system. His dedication and visionary approach caught the attention of the College’s Board of Trustees, leading to his appointment as President of John A. Logan College in November 2020.

Under Overstreet’s leadership, John A. Logan College has thrived, with notable increases in student enrollment, improved graduation rates, expanded partnerships, and long-range strategic planning. His story of returning to college as an adult learner and achieving success has inspired students and colleagues.

“As a former faculty member, I was fortunate to work with hundreds of students with a story similar to Dr. Overstreet’s that have been successful in returning to or starting college while balancing work and family,” said Provost Dr. Stephanie Chaney Harford. “It is impactful when he shares his story with someone considering returning to school but has concerns about whether they can do it. It makes a huge difference when the president of the college shares with them that his story is just like theirs.”

As Overstreet reflects on his journey, he deeply appreciates Frank’s role. “Without her steering me to a community college where I got the needed support, I might not have completed. I got excellent instruction in a supportive environment that made all the difference.”

Overstreet’s story is a powerful reminder of the profound impact compassionate mentorship and education can have on individuals seeking to transform their lives. It is a testament to the notion that a single guiding hand can sometimes help unlock a world of possibilities.

The John A. Logan College Academic Advisement office is in C204. Students are assigned an advisor who assists with enrollment, selecting a major, and staying on course with plans to graduate or transfer to a four-year school.  The College also offers student support services, financial assistance, and tutoring. Students can select from traditional in-person classes, hybrid or online classes, and fast-track classes. The College has also started an evening Fast-Track Cohort at Carbondale High School.

“Adult learners are near and dear to me, and we want them to have every opportunity to attend college,” said Overstreet. “This is why we offer extended hours on Tuesday evenings and have developed courses that can be done in a shorter time or online. We have also offered Saturday registration days, allowing working adults an opportunity they might not have had to meet with advisors and other support staff. I wanted to go back to school, and an academic advisor made all the difference to me, and I know ours (John A. Logan College) have as well.”

For more information, email registration@jalc.edu